Sunday, March 4, 2007

Windows Security And Other Oxymorons

So, last time I installed Windows on Joan's laptop (my old Sony), I made a mistake. I installed Windows.

OK. More seriously, I made the mistake of installing anti-virus software after connecting to the network. Long before protection was in place her system had viruses up and running which could not be cleaned out with any anti-virus application. Still, the system was usable and there's no other Windows systems on the network for her to infect, so we left things lying.

Lying, that is, until her system was slowed down so much under the assault of viruses and adware that just minimising a window would take longer than 30 seconds.

So today it was "back up all your data so I can reinstall all the software in the known universe" day. This time, however, I did the smart thing and installed Windows, installed an anti-virus package, then installed the network. If this doesn't work, I'm going to tell Joan that she's got no choice. It's time to switch to Linux.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the very same thing happening on my SONY last year, right after it crashed... I had to go online to get an antivirus but in the meantime, the whole computer had gotten infected... Argh...
Good luck Joan with the combination SONY + WINDOWS...
Sandrine

褚舒墨(Stephen) said...

Some Japanese notebooks do have these problems. Maybe their windows version is unique or have some special drive program. If you format the "c:" and install Windows again, they were not performe as good as they were. The VAIO of my friend's drive her mad like this~