Saturday, May 26, 2007

I don't know how to nap.

It sounds ridiculous, but I'm serious. I don't have the knack. People around me -- especially here in China -- can take naps. I can't.

If I plan for a one-hour nap and don't have something external (a person, an alarm clock, etc.) to wake me up, I'll wake up hours and hours later. There's no upper bound on this. I've taken a nap a 1PM and woken up at 3AM before. What's worse, though, is that when this happens, my sleep cycle is so thoroughly screwed I have insomnia for the next few days straight just as if I've been jet-lagged.

"So," you suggest, "why not use an alarm?" Well, I've tried that. If I use something (or someone) to wake me up after an hour, say, I wake up more tired and more muddle-headed than I was when I decided I needed the nap. The whole point of the nap is lost that way.

I'm really jealous of the people around me who can nap. It looks so ... restful.

2 comments:

Chen Bo said...

I don't thkink nap is a good custom, or have any concern with work efficiency.
I sometimes take a nap, sometimes not. decides by my time arrangement.
^_^

sounds that you're still busy.

Anonymous said...

Ok Michael. I'm just like you, without an alarm, I would never wake up at the right time (that in the morning also)
I tried to nap, as everyone else, but it seems it's just not for me... I do feel less tired after a quick nap, but when I wake up, my heart is racing, and for 5 minutes I feel like i'm gonna have a heart attack or something! Not sure that's normal; i'd say i'm just afraid not to hear the alarm and miss class. Or maybe that's something totally different. Anyhow, I took naps a few times recently but decided to put an end to that kinda bad habit-to me anyhow, and here in China.

If I were trying to nap in a hammoc, outside in the sun, surely my heart wouldn't be racing as I would have no alarm, wouldn't feel stressed and would therefore sleep forever. ;)