Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Student contrasts

I think I had the perfect contrast between good students and bad students in microcosm today.

My students entered my class late this afternoon with ham-acted "I want to die" statements. When I asked for why they were so universally wishing for death, they said they had too much work in their previous class.


Them: "We had to write 70 words in 45 minutes."
Me: boggles
Me: "That's less than two words per minute. Come crying to me when you're told to write 500."
Them: "But English is your native language."
Me: "OK, I'll do it in German, then, if you like. Or even French."
Them: boggle

They were really not happy when I gave them an exercise (pre-planned! I swear!) in which they had to ad-lib a speech that worked out to roughly 300-450 words....

Now in this class I have a "guest". He's a student in another program (computer technician) who has decided he needs to improve his English skills so he sits in on my classes when he's got free periods. He also talks with me as I go home after class to help practice. Today, on the way home, he mentioned that he had been finding his classes very difficult this term to the point of wanting to give up. As I was about to encourage him he blithely continued, explaining that this had changed after he went to the library and studied some supplemental material that was easier to understand than what the teacher was giving in class.

And that, in a microcosm, is the difference.

Poor students only go to class and bitch and moan about doing even miniscule amounts of work. They don't do any work outside of the classroom unless forced to (and then usually cheat anyway, thus invalidating the whole point of self-study).

Good students, when faced with adversity, work harder to learn by taking extra classes, spending extra time studying, finding other sources of information, etc.

9 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Hey, I love your blog!
This is true, in a sense. If they're studying something they like they're more likely to put in extra effort though. That's why my sunday school teacher never assigned us any homework- she knew that we didn't care enough to do it. (of course, I did, but that was because I was totally in love with Hebrew)

Nuri Leigh . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . said...

I enjoy your blog. I agree with your thoughts on self-study. Somewhat harsh with your words however, which is a bit counter productive. Some students come to learn because they have a mission, so they even give it everything they've got into studying and doing homework on the parts of the curriculum that they don't like! And they deal with the teachers they are given and seek additional help so that they really "get it". I think it is about maturity. It's about growing inside and getting wiser every year. Most people never mature, they just get old. That's why we have so many unhappy marriages, homes, workers, bosses, communities and wars.

Kimberly Nishell said...

Perfectly said.

Singapore Short Stories said...

Interesting post!

Wilson Chin said...

During my college time, there are some Indonesian friends which came form rather unwealthy family. and they study extra hard compare to other students in the class.

I guess sometime the financial status are also one of the factor that makes a hardworking students, and a lazy students.

Unknown said...

You are absolutely correct, Wilson. My worst students have (almost) invariably come from wealthy families and my best students have (almost) invariably come from poor families.

SL said...

Wonderful blog.keep posting.with all best wishes

SL said...

nice blog.

BeeBee said...

Hi Mr. Richter :) It's bubba88 from SO.
I'd like to comment on this post based on the memory of my school/highschool-times.
Maybe that does appear because most of the students (no matter the culture) think of existing educational programs as regular and complete . That's basically what they are supposed to do, but there is a great deal of work that is assumed to be done by the student itself. I mean, we cannot just include 60-90 hours per month of self-training in the official program for every subject, but that's really what is needed :)

And a trivial moment is to make students understand what do they need your subject for (I feel great stupidity of saying such things to professional pedagogue), but that is just the thing that popped up in my head on a regular basis during last 1-2 years (I've got my degree last summer). I wanted to say that the stereotype of students' thinking is basically: This must be learned the way it is given and it must be learned just because :)

Hope some reflections of 22-yr old grad student were of some help.