Tuesday, April 10, 2007

How to Waste your Time, the Intellectual "Property" Way

So the CBC has a story about the US government taking China to WTO arbitration over "piracy". (Please insert here the pro-forma rant about how piracy--the real thing, not copyright infringement--is a heinous crime in which people die whereas nobody has ever died from copied DVDs and CDs. I'm tired of typing it out again and again. Why don't you idiots at the RIAA and MPAA just call it "The Entertainment Holocaust" if you're so intent on grotesquely distorting words and concepts for rhetorical gain?)

Of particular interest in that article is this passage:

American companies contend they are losing billions of dollars in sales because of rampant copyright piracy.
Which planet are these people living on? The Chinese, for the most part, can barely afford movies at the infringed copyright rates (ranging CDN$0.25-$1.50 depending on quality)! What on Earth makes these morons think that jacking up the price to $10+ is going to have any impact on their income?

I think it's time for someone to kidnap copyright lawyers and entertainment company executives and force them, at gunpoint, to live in the countryside of China for a year without access to their millions. Then, maybe, they'll just grab a clue and figure out that their fight is self-defeating.

3 comments:

Man With Beard said...

Heinous crime!? Come on, Captain Jack Sparrow is not such a bad guy. That is the image I get with the software/entertainment/music industry morons go on about piracy - not the modern cut-throats off the coasts of the Phillipines, Indonesia, or Somalia. Of course, this image will not deter anyone from "copyright piracy".

Anonymous said...

This article is so amazing.Express exactly what i want to say.People always think in their point,they don't know the situation in china.
well~~it is really funny to talk about copyright infringement while pirated CDs/DVDs are available everywhere which really contribute a lot of convenience to our lives.

I want to buy the 正版softwares,but i just can't afford it.
maybe it is not my fault.

Unknown said...

Hey, since I'm in Aussie, I've tried all my things to be original -- I got nothing new...

However, here in Aussie, great libraries are here and there and are always convenient to borrow books, CDs, DVDs. They certainly have much much more than I can afford. I love this kind of circulation and if China has the similar situation, I promise that I would buy so many "piracy"s.

BTW, I've got lots of new pictures for my holidays in Melbourne. Have a look!
http://seaspirit1982.spaces.live.com